ARC Book Review | Liars, Inc by Paula Stokes

Posted on Monday, February 23, 2015 12:00 AM
Format: e-ARC
Source: Publisher via Edelweiss
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: March 24, 2015
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars


For fans of Gone Girl, I Hunt Killers, and TV's How to Get Away with Murder.

Max Cantrell has never been a big fan of the truth, so when the opportunity arises to sell forged permission slips and cover stories to his classmates, it sounds like a good way to make a little money and liven up a boring senior year. With the help of his friends Preston and Parvati, Max starts Liars, Inc. Suddenly everybody needs something and the cash starts pouring in. Who knew lying could be so lucrative?

When Preston wants his own cover story to go visit a girl he met online, Max doesn’t think twice about hooking him up. Until Preston never comes home. Then the evidence starts to pile up—terrifying clues that lead the cops to Preston’s body. Terrifying clues that point to Max as the murderer.

Can Max find the real killer before he goes to prison for a crime he didn’t commit? In a story that Kirkus Reviews called "Captivating to the very end," Paula Stokes starts with one single white lie and weaves a twisted tale that will have readers guessing until the explosive final chapters.


Review



Something to Note: I received an e-ARC of this book from the publisher via Edelweiss for an honest review.

Why Did I Want To Read Liars, Inc: If you've read my blog for a while then you can probably guess that I'm a huge fan of thrillers and the summary for Liars, Inc had me intrigued at "For fans of Gone Girl, I Hunt Killers, and TV's How to Get Away with Murder."

The Characters: I always have a hard time trying to connect to characters when I go into a thriller, only because I tend to suspect EVERYONE.  However, I actually found myself liking Max from the very beginning, he was honest, and he didn't pretend to be something he's not.  It took me a little longer to warm up to Parvati, probably because she seemed a little too good to be true, she seemed to really like Max, but she was also really close to Preston since they had been friends before Max, and I just had a hard time trusting her. 

My Overall Thoughts: Liars, Inc was a wonderful thriller that kept me guessing the entire time.  I had so many theories throughout the story, but every one of them were wrong in one way or another.  But I loved that I didn't have every detail right, I hate figuring out what is going on before everything is revealed, I just love when I get that moment of shock when everything finally comes out.

Of course, there are clues along the way, but it was so hard for me to try and put them together.  Even if I did, I don't think I could have guessed how everything would play out.  I mean, that twist was GENIUS. The theory that I had towards the end was kind of on the right lines, but it was so complicated that it also kind of wasn't.  I know that probably doesn't make sense but there's no way for me to explain without giving something away.

Aside from the thriller aspects, it makes you think about so much more than who is behind everything.  It will also make you wonder about how well we know the people surrounding us, and whether or not it is possible to know someone to their core, or are there parts of themselves that they hide? It's something that I never gave much thought to before, but after reading this book, it does make me wonder.
One Line Wrap Up: A thrilling adventure filled with so twists and turns, readers will be constantly wondering what is going on. 

I Would Recommend For Fans Of: Dangerous Girls, I Hunt Killers and Welcome to the Dark House


author image

Christy

Christy is a 27 year old wife, mother, nursing student and self proclaimed book addict. When she's not busy spending time with her family or learning to save lives, you can find her with a book in her hands, and a smile on her face.
Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0